Friday, January 18, 2013

50,000 Words Day 12

I still have the flu. Tamiflu is a wonder drug but I am still not well. However, I am writing. For those of you who don't know, I am using the program, No Plot? No Problem!- novel-writing kit by Chris Baty. Today I wrote 1986 words. And drumroll please? My total word count in 12 days is 20,193! That is almost half way through.
By the way my illness has found itself in my novel in the form of diptheria. My motivation card is called Onward!: one of the most famous mountain climbers of the last twenty-five years is Joe Simpson, known not for the number of peaks he's scaled, but for a nightmarish climb gone awry in 1985. As captured in his book (and later the movie) Touching the Void, Simpson shattered his leg on a snowy, stormy descent, and fell hundreds of feet, landing on a ledge overlooking the maw of an ice crevasse. Staying where he was seemed untenable, but the only direction he could go was down, lowering himself into the dark, claustrophobic slit of the icy canyon. getting back out would be impossible. His thought at that juncture: "You gotta keep making decisions. even if they're wrong decisions. If you don't make decisions, you're stuffed." Simpson made it off the mountain with all his appendages intact, and you should take his good advice to heart throughout Week Two. Resist the impulse to sit back and ponder. Keep moving forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment